March 23, 2022
Kobelco Eco-Solutions Co., Ltd.
Kobelco Eco-Solutions wins contract for Project for Expansion of Water Supply System in Ta Khmau
“Via JICA’s first Grant with O&M Project,KOBELCO is committed to expanding tap water access on outskirts of Phnom Penh”
Kobelco Eco-Solutions Co., Ltd. signs a contract with Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority (PPWSA) on the Project for the Expansion of Water Supply System in Ta Khmau, under a Japanese grant aid provided by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). This project is executed by a joint venture (JV) together with Kubota Construction Co., Ltd., Kitakyushu Water Service Co., Ltd., CTI Engineering International Co., Ltd., and TEC International Co., Ltd.
Ta Khmau city is located south of Cambodia’s capital Phnom Penh. The Kandal Provincial capital has been encountering an increasing demand for tap water access due to a rapid growth of the population and commercial facility development. While a Niroth water purification plant owned and operated by PPWSA currently supplies tap water to the city, there is a concern about future supply shortage of tap water. This project aims at developing sustainable tap water supply system via the construction of a new water purification facility and 10-year operation and maintenance (O&M) services thereafter.
The project is the JICA’s first grant with O&M project*, and it is expected to render efficient water supply services based on know-how and technologies accumulated in Japan, throughout the design-build works, as well as O&M services by the Japanese companies.
This is our eighth water purification plant project in Cambodia. Our corporate mission is “to create a healthy environment and life for future generations through our innovative thinking”. We will contribute to facilitating water treatment business in Cambodia and Southeast Asia, as well as achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the region.
1. Client: Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority
2. Project Site: Ta Khmau City, Kandal Province, Cambodia
3. Plant Capacity: Water Purification Capacity: 30,000 m3/day
4. Scope of Work: Design-Build Works and O&M Services (DBO)
(1) Design-Build Works：JV consisting of Kubota Construction Co., Ltd. (JV leader), Kobelco Eco-Solutions Co., Ltd., Kitakyushu Water Service Co., Ltd., CTI Engineering International Co., Ltd., and TEC International Co., Ltd.
(2) O&M Services： JV consisting of Kobelco Eco-Solutions Co., Ltd. (JV leader), Kubota Construction Co., Ltd., Kitakyushu Water Service Co., Ltd., CTI Engineering International Co., Ltd. (Special Purpose Company (SPC) to be established for the services)
5. Project Duration:
(1) Design-Build Work: 33 months
(2) O&M Services 10 years
*This type of Grant is for public-private partnership (PPP) projects that are economically beneficial but not financially viable, though they may likely become financially feasible if the developing country government bears part of the project costs. This Grant targets public work projects that comprehensively implement the continuum of activities from facility construction to operation, maintenance, and management.
【 Perspective Drawing of Water Purification Facility】
Contact: Kobelco Eco-Solutions Co.,Ltd.